INGREDIENTS for the cupcakes:
*Makes around 18 cupcakes
– 1/4 cup of coconut rum (if you want to make this recipe for kids use this measurement of pineapple juice)
– 3/4 cup of coconut milk
– 1/3 cup of pineapple juice (I buy crushed pineapple on it’s juice and use the liquid from the can for this juice measurement)
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 1/2 cup of flour
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 1/4 tsp of salt
– 1/2 cup of unsalted butter at room temperature
– 1 cup + 3 tbsp of sugar
– 3 large eggs
– 1 cup of shredded coconut
– 1 cup of crushed pineapple (drained, I squeeze a hand full till all the liquid is out)
HOW TO MAKE IT:
Preheat your oven to 350F.
In a bowl mix the rum (or all pineapple juice), coconut milk, pineapple juice and vanilla extract and set aside.
In another bowl whisk the flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
In your KitchenAid Mixer bowl add the butter and sugar and start beating it with the beater attachment until is nice and creamy. Start adding the eggs ONE AT A TIME and mixing it well after each addition.
After this mixture is nice and fluffy, start adding the flour mix and the liquid mix, a little bit at a time alternating them.
After all is combined turn off your mixer and fold in the drained pineapple and the coconut until is all blended in.
Pour the batter into the cupcake liners in the cupcake baking sheet, do not over fill, do it 3/4 of the cupcake liner with the batter.
Bake then for around 25 minutes but always check it.
Do the tooth pick test and if it comes clean your cupcakes are ready.
I have to say When I did the tooth pick test I thought it wasn’t ready because it was too soft, but this batter is SOFT, so you know It will be a nice, fluffy and moist cupcake with chunks of pineapple inside.
In my opinion There is a strong taste of rum, so I would go lighter on the rum and heavier on the pineapple juice, but it’s up to your taste buds 😉
* Double the recipe if you like lots of icing.
– 8oz of cream cheese at room temperature
– 1/4 cup of unsalted butter at room temperature
– 2 cups of powdered sugar
– 3 tbsp of coconut cream ( I didn’t use this because I didn’t find it, so I added more confectioners sugar and added this measurement with coconut milk, my frosting git little to soft for my taste but oh well)
– 1 tsp of vanilla extract
HOW TO MAKE IT:
Start mixing the butter and cream cheese together until is all combined into a cream then add vanilla extract.
Mix in powdered sugar little by little and add coconut cream.
– 1 can of pineapple chunks
– maraschino cherries
– shredded coconut
– straws cut in half
After my cupcakes are completely cold I did the frosting from my zip lock bag cutting a hole on the tip.
Sprinkled shredded coconut and set a pineapple chunk on top, then cut a cherry in half (make sure there is no cherry juice on your cherry) and added my straw.
Beautiful tropical Piña Colada cupcakes :-)))))