I got this recipe from Ana Paula Rivera, It is so delicious, perfect for the fall season.
I made little changes, I didn’t have guava paste so I skipped that but I highly recommend it. Also, I made a nice and thick glaze for my cake.
Here is the recipe…
For the cake:
– 1 cup of whole milk
– 1 egg
– 1 cup of all purpose flour
– 1 cup of sugar
– 1 cup of fine cornmeal (you can use polenta flour, it’s the same thing)
– 1 cup of vegetable oil (not completelly full)
– 1 cup of sweetened shredded coconut
– 1 tablespoon of baking powder (full)
– 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
And if you have Guava paste you will use 1 cup of guava paste cut into cubes)
For the glaze:
– About 1 cup of powdered sugar (if you like a lot just add more powdered sugar)
– Enough cold water to make a liquid paste
– 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract (you can use lemon juice instead if you like citrus flavor)
HOW TO MAKE IT:
Preheat your oven to 350 F.
You will use a Bundt Cake baking sheet, spray cooking spray all over it and cover it with flour (to prevent your cake from sticking to the baking sheet)
Inside your KitchenAid Mixer bowl add the egg and with the flat beater attachment on, start on slow speed beating the egg till it becomes a light yellow color. Then lets add sugar and vanilla extract and beat it for another minute, add oil and milk and beat it till combined.
Add the cornmeal to the mix and then all purpose flour and for last the shredded coconut and mix it just until combined. Turn off your mixer.
With the help of a spatula you will fold in gently the baking powder until mixed. If you are using the guava paste, this will be the time you will fold it into your cake gently.
Pour the batter into your greased and floured Bundt Cake baking sheet.
Into the oven it goes for about 30-40 minutes. Test your cake with a toothpick to check when it’s ready.
Flip the cake over a serving plate while it is still hot and let make the glaze.
In a small bowl add powdered sugar and vanilla extract, then start adding water little by little just until it becomes a thick paste.
Drizzle this with a spoon all over your cake.
The cake is ready!
Corn and Coconut Cake Recipe